July 16, 2010

Comfrey Demo

July has mostly slowed down, now that we have managed to get a handle on most of the weeds. The field tomatoes are tied up and are starting to ripen, we have our first eggplant and carrots. Cabbage is plentiful as well as the turnips. The lettuce is also plentiful. I am due for a farm walkabout, which I will probably do soon(ish). Taking pictures for the blog all the time is kind of not my thing I am realizing. 




The plant Yoni is picking is comfrey, grows all over like a weed. After we harvest it and put it in bins weighed down by rocks, it rots for two weeks. We dilute the rotted comfrey in water and it is a really good fertilizer. The nasty rotted mass of the plant can also be used as a fertilizing mulch for tomatoes or whatever needs a good kick in the garden. It smells pretty nasty. I hear it is such a good fertilizer because Comfrey has a really long tap root which draws alot of deep nutrients and retains them.


My question is, who the hell thought of trying this in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment