July 27, 2010

Solar Dehydration



Haven't been on the farm much because I have been working on a solar food dehydrator with Brandon. Basically it is a glass box that collects heat and you put fruits or greens that you want to dry out in the glass box. i.e. sun dried tomatoes, kale chips, apple chips etc. 


The thing is you can't simply build a box, there needs to be some air flow or else the food will go moldy. I think the design I found will work, at least I hope it does. All week Brandon and I have been piecing this thing together with our combined carpentry skills, which are fairly scrappy, and we spoke in various accents the main ones being british and rastafarian. I learned how to use some power tools which was pretty sweet. 

In the end it didn't work because we didn't use single paned glass we used double paned glass so shit got moist and mouldy. whatever. 




Side note. Went to Maxwell Lake with my visiting buddy Zach. He did the insaneo rope swing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment